Re: Appropriate technology; was: Scanning problems

to convey (which was pedagogy rather than physics). I have seen
business types use Powerpoint this way too, but the visuals were
never very necessary, and their static nature would have suited
them well to prepared transparencies.

All these things boil down to the use of appropriate technology.
I don't need a G4 Mac to do most of what I do. I *could* use one
(and I do use a G3 in my astronomy lectures, to run Starry Night
Pro) of course, but the overhead and a few colored pens still
work well for most purposes.

To which I can only add: hear! hear! Too often the medium obscures the
message.

Ironically even though I make my living consulting, designing etc for
technology... I am much less taken in by it than most people I know. I
still don't have a CD player on the stereo and only recently surpassed a
20" tv screen. As for physics lectures, I use chalk. For
demonstrations I am far more likely to bring my guitar, a rubber band, a
sink stopper (makes a great spinning top), or skipping rope than I am to
bring in a computer. Yes I have web pages for the class, but I find
very little call for bringing technology into the classroom. However,
one of the questions on the student evaluations at the U of Winnipeg
(yes I'm teaching a class sessionally there again) has the students rate
how effective the professor was in using technological aids. I suppose
I forego marks there in order to teach the way I know how.

Doug Craigen
Latest Project - the Physics E-source
http://www.dctech.com/physics/