Appropriate technology; was: Scanning problems

Leigh Palmer wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Leigh Palmer [mailto:palmer@SFU.CA]
Sent: Monday, September 20, 1999 10:25 AM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Scanning problems

Physicists very infrequently use Powerpoint. In the last two
years I've seen only one Powerpoint talk given by a physicist
who used it to show video clips. The talk was not very good, and
he ran it from his PowerBook. There were also floodlights set up
for videotaping the talk, and the technical peripheranalia were
so distracting that I got very little of the content he intended
to convey (which was pedagogy rather than physics). I have seen
business types use Powerpoint this way too, but the visuals were
never very necessary, and their static nature would have suited
them well to prepared transparencies.

All these things boil down to the use of appropriate technology.
I don't need a G4 Mac to do most of what I do. I *could* use one
(and I do use a G3 in my astronomy lectures, to run Starry Night
Pro) of course, but the overhead and a few colored pens still
work well for most purposes.

To which I can only add: hear! hear! Too often the medium obscures the
message.
"Vocatus atque non vocatus - Deus aderit."
- Karl Jung
George Spagna
Department of Physics
Randolph-Macon College
P.O. Box 5005
Ashland, VA 23005-5505
phone: (804) 752-7344 FAX (804) 752-4724
e-mail: gspagna@rmc.edu
http://www.rmc.edu/~gspagna/