Re: Energy-sucking EM antennas

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Bob Sciamanda wrote:

. . .
I looked for conventional physics papers and discovered only two so far,
both of which were written in the 1980s. And one is by my hero Dr.
"Beer-Clouds" Bohren. If Chris Bohren has noticed this topic, then my
alarm bells ring wildly.

Hi Bob!

Do you refer to Craig F. Bohren of the Penn State meteorology dept.?

Yes, Craig Bohren the atmospheric physics person (I'm familiar with him as
the author of "Clouds in a glass of beer", and as a researcher who takes
seriously the problem of common student misconceptions.)

Can you give specific references for these papers.

They're at the end of my little web-article (and below as well.)

(Intriguing notions, but vague enough to be true, at this stage!)

Heh! Bohren's paper only examines the ability of EM resonance
to vastly increase the "effective area" of macro particles in absorbing
light (he examines surface plasmon resonances in metal particles, and
phonon resonances in dielectric particles). He says nothing about radio
antennas or Tesla.

If we imagine an LC oscillator to be a "giant atom" in resonance with
propagating light, where the "light" is radio waves, then the same effect
applies to LC oscillators as applies to atoms, as is pointed out by the
Sutton/Spaniol papers. None of this is my discovery, I just read these
papers and became (mildly?) excited. I performed some very crude
calculations and the real-world numbers support the fact that the
phenomenon is almost certainly real and significant.

Many years ago I asked a colleague how tiny atoms could possibly interact
with relatively long light waves. Atoms are so small that they can't
intercept much light or emit much light if we imagine them to be like EM
antennas. It's like trying to do shortwave broadcasts with a dipole
antenna which is several hundred times shorter than 1/2 wavelength. If
I recall, he suspected that it must be a QM effect where the atoms somehow
interact with "light particles" in a different way than antennas interact
with EM. I never followed up on my wonderings. Fortunately some others
have done so.

Folks here might enjoy my late-night brainstorming on some of the possible
natural phenomena (EM and acoustic) which this "energy suction" effect
might explain. Check out the second half of the webpage, and see if you
suspect that these ideas are entirely misguided, or if they...

-ahem-

...really, in truth, "suck."

See:

ENERGY SUCKING ANTENNAS