Re: strong theories, weak theories, not-even-wrong theories

At 10:27 AM 8/23/99 -0500, Timothy Folkerts wrote:

I agree wholeheartly with the spirit of John's comments. If a theory needs
to be adjusted independently for each circumstance, then it is of no
particular value to the theory.

That said, I think that 1b) and 2b) are of some value and that a different
example might be better.

You're right. Indeed, if I were doing it over again, I would delete theory
2b from the exposition entirely.

And you're right, the time variable needs to be controlled, lest it add
value to a theory that was meant to be valueless.