Re: "Simple pendulum"

Every misconception can be ridiculed by those who
know better. But it REALLY WAS my misconception.
Where did it come from? Probably from knowing
that, mathematically, a circular motion with constant
speed is a superposition of harmonic oscillations along
the x and y axes. The equality of amplitudes and the
phase difference of 90 or 270 degrees always leads to
circular motion.

It also appeared on at least one of the final exams I marked a couple of
weeks ago. I considered it relatively well done for a wrong answer. It
took me a minute or so to figure out why what appeared to be a
reasonable breaking up of the motion into components didn't produce the
same answer as I had worked out.

Doug Craigen
Latest Project - the Physics E-source
http://www.dctech.com/physics/