Re: ORIGINAL simple magnets question

Bill,

I have hot-glued a round fridge magnet, well centered, to a plastic rod.

I hope to chuck it in a reversible drill and clamp the drill near a Crooks
tube, (if they haven't all been confiscated), or the Welsch transparent
oscilloscope.

Would you care to predict whether the beam deflection will differ according
to the rate and direction of spin?
Or is this not somewhat equivalent to your original proposal?

How will you determine the DC component of this deflection? It sounds
like it would be swamped by any AC component, and you will be hard
pressed to see the effect in a beam with a large initial momentum.

It would be better to use one of those (relatively) low voltage tubes
containing a trace of gas, but the (delta py)/px will still be small,
won't it? A 100 ev electron has a velocity of about 1/50 c (found
with no tables or calculator using mc^2 = 510 keV). To get a 1 per cent
effect in (delta py)/px you would need a tangential speed of 2x10^-4 c.
this corresponds, for a 25.4 mm diameter magnet, to a shaft speed of
200 billion RPM. That's even faster than my Weed Eater!

Leigh

(But please, someone check my figures!)