Re: Introductory Undergraduate Physics Sequence

When I was teaching our combined Chem/Bio physics sequence, I offered some
special review sessions for those taking MCATs. What I discovered was that
the NUMBER ONE skill necessary for students to perform well was the ability
to READ (with some emphasis on reading 'technical' material). The bulk of
the MCAT physics questions can be answered using simple logic and a careful
reading of the passages with maybe 20% of the questions requiring a little
physics knowledge--things like v(wave) = frequency x wavelength or I = V/R.
These physics tidbits however, can come from anywhere in the 'standard'
curriculum (as defined by any of the encyclopedic algebra-based texts). The
other problem I discovered was that only 20% of the students were reasonably
skilled at the kind of READING needed. Some of the students who were doing
very well in the course could not answer the questions, and when I started
having them read the passage twice and then asked for summaries of what the
passage said, it was clear that these students could not read such material
with any appreciable level of comprehension. Those few students with GOOD
reading skills did better than their performance in the physics course would
have predicted.

Rick Tarara

Richard W. Tarara
Department of Chemistry & Physics