Re: lightning dangers

As a child we had a nearby lightning strike come through the power
line, jump the circuit breaker, and set the electric stove on fire. It is
something you never forget.

As a high school teacher I'm not sure the function of the lightning rod
as a reducer of the voltage of a strike is clear. In class I hold a pin in
my hand and touch a charged VandeGraaf sphere. I can do this with
no shock.

A path to ground is not the only function of a lightning rod. It is my
understanding Benjamin Franklin refused to patent the lightning rod
because of the above effects.

Best Wishes,

Mike Wilson
mwilson@colosys.net