Re: Conceptual focus on kinematics

Fabian,
Yoyr first post with the attachment has caused some consternation as it has the
Happy 99 virus attached.

My answer was (E) because the average speed of the upper block and
of the
lower block during interval 3 to 4 is the same and equal to 80
units of
lenght / second, the speed of the lower block is constant and of
the upper
block is increasing during the interval and if their average speeds
are
equal it means that at some time during interval 3 to 4 the blocks
have the
same instantaneous speed equal to 80 units of lenght / second. (It
is easier
to explain with the Mean Value Theorem of Calculus). I would like
to know
your explanations. I am not as much interested in the answer itself
as in
the efficient +ACo-use+ACo- of the concepts.

It seems to me that the simplest conceptual treatment of the question is to note
by inspection that (1) the lower block has a steady speed and (2) the upper
block is initially travelling faster than the lower block and finally travelling
slower. Therefore somewhere along the way it must, however briefly, have the
same speed as the lower block. No calculations are required.
Brian McInnes