taking apart smoke detectors

I've been thinking about using a smoke detector as a radiation
source. Does anybody know how far I can safely open it up? If
I take the circuit board out of the case and set it next to my
detector, I get about 4x background. I'm a long way from where
it looks like the source sits. Can I remove the plastic cage?
Is the source sealed up or would it smear onto anything it
touches? (I really don't want to find out the hard way.)

Carmen