Interference pattern & jets

<From: mwilson@colosys.net>

In watching the military jets take of on the nightly news I notice the
exhaust exhibits patterns of bright exhaust, dark lines, bright exhaust,
etc.

Am I seeing some type of interfernce pattern from light?
Am I seeing some type of combustion pattern (I can't imagine what)?
Why do I only notice it in military jets?
Does it depend on the use of after burners?

Best Wishes,

Mike Wilson
mwilson@colosys.net
Math/Science