Re: Flash & RC circuits

Richard Bowman wrote:

The voltage rating of the capacitor is not the critical factor. The
voltage rating only tells us approximately at what voltage with the
dielectric break down and begin to conduct. Connected to one 1.5 AA
battery, the capacitor can only charge to 1.5 v. But the crucial fact is
the amount of charge stored on the capacitor which can then be discharged
rapidly by a human connecting across its ends. Thus a large current flow
results. Remember that Q=CV. I have not looked at my disposable flash
unit yet, but my guess is that the capacitance is in the millifarad range.
Just
a guess.

It seems to me that no matter how large C is the current
through a body will never be larger than from the electric
"battery" which charged it in the first place. I would not
worry about a danger at 1.5 V, even if C were very large.
But a power supply of 300 V, without a protection, can
be fatal. In this case the circuit resistance and the charge
Q becomes decisive factors.

Medical people, if my memory can be trusted, dose
capacitors in Joules of stored energy. So many Joules -->
small effect and so many --> big effect. Does somebody
know the actual values for typical medical (electric
shocks) effects?

Ludwik Kowalski