Flash & RC circuits

<From mwilson@colosys.net>

In class a question about the electronic flash attachments used in
photography was voiced.

Apparently the photography teacher warned students that charging
the flash unit, then removing the battery, and then using the flash
would cause extensive damage to the flash unit or battery.

I had just explained how flash units use an RC circuit for the flash,
so failure to let the capacitor reach full charge would damage the
battery.

It does not seem to me removing the battery from a charged circuit
could cause damage (which is how we do the tau experiment in
class).

Am I wrong?

Obviously I told the involved students it could be a rather expensive
lesson to ignore their photography teacher, and it is never smart to
ignor teachers. Of course, being teenagers, they have already tried
all of the warnings on their own.

Best Wishes,

Mike Wilson
mwilson@colosys.net