Re: QUANTA

Brother Denker wrote, "Energy is not quantized."

Now that really surprises me. I have always believed that Bohr's hydrogen
atom model, and the quantum mechanics which replaced it, requires quantized
energy levels for atoms, and that photons are emitted with discrete
(quantized) energies when an atomic electron jumps to a lower energy state.

He also wrote "Look at the rainbow: you can have any energy you want."

If he means "any wavelength (photon energy) you want", it that not because
photons having pretty nearly every discrete energy are emitted by the sun? Is
that not what we mean when we speak of the continuous emission spectrum from
an incandescent body?

I usually miss most of the points made in these messages, however I learn a
hellava lot, too. Did I miss something in his message?

poj