Re: neutron polarization

Jerry, your answer is of course correct, but I don't think that is the kind
of polarization that Gary's student was thinking of. I suspect that, since
the subject was electrostatic polarization, especially induced polarization
of conducting or polarizable non-conducting material, the student was
wondering if the neutron, which they probably had heard was made up of
three charged particles whose total charge adds to zero, could be polarized
in the same sense as water molecules can be polarized by holding a charged
object near a stream of water.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what the answer to this question is, or if it
is related to your answer. It seems to me that, in principle, it might be
possible, but I have no idea how this concept plays out when done in the
high-energy quantum environment that it would require. Or even if it is
possible to imagine the effect, if it can be observed in the lab.

Hugh

Yes you can have polarized neutrons. Neutrons have a spin of 1/2, the
polarization is the alignment of this spin vector. Generally one uses
polarized neutron beams in nuclear physics. One way to create a
polarized neutron beam is that a beam of polarized protons strikes a
deuterium target and a large percentage of the knockout neutrons are
polarized. This is an example of polarization transfer.

Jerry Lisantti lisantti@physics.centenary.edu
Dept. of Physics and Engineering http://alpha.centenary.edu
Centenary College of Louisiana
Shreveport, LA 71134