Re: Conserving Q/Faraday

Bob Sciamanda asks:

If you disassemble the discharged capacitor inside the Faraday cup
(with attached electrometer) and remove the plates one at a time,
when does the electrometer show a non-zero reading?

We did not do this. We measured the net Q of the whole thing without
separating pieces. And we did this with the dielectric slab coated by
layers of graphite paint, not surrounded by Al plates which can be
separated.

WE NEED ADVICE
. . . . .
3) HERE IS MY QUESTION. Suppose that a net charge is really
present in the dielectric slab of a capacitor connected to HV. How
can this net charge possibly be revealed? A naive approach was
to disconnect C from the power supply, discharge it and stick it
(without dissecting) into the Faraday cup. By doing this we always
find that the net Q is zero. But this refers to the sum of charges
on three objects (the dielectric slab and two electrodes), not to
the Q in the dielectric slab alone. The discharged electrodes are
not necessary neutral, they may have + and - charges induced by
the layers of the remaining bound charges in the dielectric. If so
then the net Q in the electrodes compensates the net Q in the
dielectric.