From: Robert Carlson <Raacc@AOL.COM>
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Date: Friday, December 18, 1998 11:53 PM
Subject: Re: MOMENT OF INERTIA

I'm not sure whether Bob is saying static friction does or does not do
work in
his comment below. I suggest it does not, at least in the floor's frame
of
reference. When I start to walk it always involves a leaning forward.
In
this sense, my weight is providing a torque about my center of mass. I
believe that the frictional force, not doing work, is providing a pivot
point
for this torque. Am I wrong? However, I would not use this explanation
in an
introductory course until torque is discussed. Is this another case
where we
lead introductory students astray in that static friction does work and
accelerates objects, or am I completely wrong here? For example, most
texts I
have seen explain that when a person walks, they place a force back on
the
floor. By Newton's 3rd, they then say that the floor places a force
forward
on the person. In this explanation, the conclusion is that the static
frictional force is causing the acceleration. But, if it is static
friction,
then how can it do work and cause the acceleration?

Bob Carlson

In a message dated 12/18/98 9:10:40 PM Central Standard Time,