Re: MOMENT OF INERTIA

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Robert Carlson wrote:

I'm not sure whether Bob is saying static friction does or does not do work in
his comment below. I suggest it does not, at least in the floor's frame of
reference. When I start to walk it always involves a leaning forward. In
this sense, my weight is providing a torque about my center of mass. I
believe that the frictional force, not doing work, is providing a pivot point
for this torque. Am I wrong?

But, what agent is providing the force that causes the center of mass to
move forward resulting in that torque?

However, I would not use this explanation in an
introductory course until torque is discussed. Is this another case where we
lead introductory students astray in that static friction does work and
accelerates objects, or am I completely wrong here? For example, most texts I
have seen explain that when a person walks, they place a force back on the
floor. By Newton's 3rd, they then say that the floor places a force forward
on the person. In this explanation, the conclusion is that the static
frictional force is causing the acceleration. But, if it is static friction,
then how can it do work and cause the acceleration?

Suppose you were standing on a frictionless surface. Could you lean
forward? Could you change the position of your center of mass?

Mervin Koehlinger
Physics Instructor
Concordia Lutheran High School
Fort Wayne, Indiana