Re: Newton's 2nd law Lab

I have some reservations about the mbl experiments for Newton's second law,
and wonder if they are shared.

Minor reservation: I don't like using a force sensor already calibrated in
newtons when we want to show the second law.

Bigger reservation: I don't like using an accelerometer which works by
inertia for this experiment. If we treat the sensors strictly as black boxes
this may be OK, but I like the students to have some idea of what the sensor
does.

The force sensor is OK since it works by stretching, and the difficulty is
with the unit only, but I much prefer getting the acceleration
kinematically. Yes, the data can be messy if you "double difference" the
position measurements, but it's easy and quick enough to do straight line
fits to v-t graphs for a series of constant forces, and the graph is not too
bad for the experiment that John Gastineau describes below.

Mark