Re: Newton's 2nd law Lab

We do a 2nd law experiment fairly traditionally--that is, using air tracks,
air pulley, recording tape (as the massless cord) and falling mass in a
modified Atwood's configuration. We DO keep the system mass constant in the
first set of measurements where the falling mass is varied by transferring
mass from cart to mass hanger. Accelerations are determined using photogate
timers. A series of second experiments are done, using a fixed falling mass
and changing the mass on the cart. Each group of students does the fixed
system mass experiment and ONE of the fixed falling mass experiments
(several different falling masses are done).

Now the TWIST. I let the students assume that the force acting on the
system is proportional to the falling mass, but that we don't know the
proportionality constant (taking a quasi-pre-Newtonian viewpoint). The
fixed system mass data then gives a linear relationship but with an unknown
proportionality constant (so that units work).

After it is determined that the acceleration in the fixed falling mass
experiments is inversely proportional to the mass of the system, this is
plotted to give a linear relationship. Each group has a different slope for
their work.

In group consultation, the students decide to do the only thing they know
how to do with data (at this point in the course) when one quantity (these
slopes) vary with another (the falling mass). They graph it! The
relationship is linear AND the slope (of slopes versus falling mass) has
units of cm/s^2 and a magnitude of about 1000! This is then recognizable as
quite possibly the known (from Galileo) acceleration due to gravity--again
such recognition being based primarily on the fact that the data
manipulation produced a slope with physically meaningful UNITS. Finally, it
is suggested that just possibly, this physical constant (g) which falls out
of the data could be the unknown proportionality constant still sitting
there from the constant system mass part of the experiment. We try it, and
low and behold, the slope (when the data is plotted appropriately) ends up
to have units of grams and a magnitude pretty close to the actual system
mass. We have 'discovered' the second law (rather than just verifying it)!
;-)

Rick

***********************
Richard W. Tarara
Associate Professor of Physics
Department of Chemistry & Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

Free Physics Instructional Software:

NEW WIN 95/98/NT SOFTWARE NOW AVAILABLE!

see http://www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/ for details.