Re: The world's first readable calculus [long]

Hello all:

Ludwik Kowalski wrote (in part):

I still do not know how to write the algorithm for solving Jack's
problem on a computer (see below). Any hints? I suppose that
algorithms coded in Fortran, True Basic or Pascal would be
nearly identical in terms of understanding the approach. [I do
not know Perl, C, C++, Java, etc.

and Doug Craigen wrote:

It should be noted that while Perl, C, C++, Java, JavaScript are
separate languages, they are in the same class so that if you knew one
on them you would probably be able to get the basic algorithm from
reading the Perl script.

I'd agree that Perl/C/C++ have similar syntax, and so once you
have the 'skills' to read one, learning to read the others is
not hard. But I wouldn't put them in the same class.

Perl is an object-oriented language, but the script I wrote uses
none of those constructs. It's ideal for these "quick and dirty"
programs because it's not a compiled language (like C, FORTRAN,
C++, etc.) and yet it has a complete set of math functions unlike
other scripting languages.

John