Re: RE:Non-conductors (was IONS)

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998 14:58:20 +0100 Ludwik Kowalski said:

Here are my questions. Suppose that the metallic sphere, or the
Faraday cup, is replaced by an identical vessel made from a pure
dielectric, such as fused silica or plexiglas. The initial potential
energy (electrons deposited at one small spot) is higher than the
energy of the configuration in which electrons would be far away
from each others. But the system does not evolve "spontaneously"
from the higher potential energy to lower. Electrons remain
where they are initially deposited. Why?

?? I agree that the electrons won't move to the outside. They can't get
through the wall, but why do you expect them to "remain where they are
are initially deposited?" My answer to your question would be that I
don't think they will!