RE: supplementary S.I. units

At 08:22 AM 9/23/98 -0600, you wrote:
Joe,
What's the point of having a prerequisite if you don't insist upon it;
excepting, perhaps, rare cases? Perhaps the prerequisite should be removed
if it is regularly ignored, that would certainly be more honest.

Joel Rauber
----------

Most of the students I have have in
physics never have taken chemistry or physics in high school nor, for that
fact, taken more than two years of math (usually have Alg 1 and Geometry).
We do have a pre requisite of College Algebra to take physics, but if I
insisted on this, I would have no students at all. Around here we have
problems having students take physics in high school much less in a
community college.

I shall think about this some more and I appreciate all the discussion on
this board.
---
--
Joe Baughman

POWERS THAT BE, INCLUDING ANY COLLEGE OUR STUDENTS TRANSFER TO, INSIST ON
THE MATH PRE REQUISITE. I contend that I can teach physics to people who
have very little algebra or math ability. It takes lots of patience on the
part of students and me--and the course is very lab orientated-they learn by
doing. It really works. Students who transfer to 4 year schools and take
physics or other technical courses do well. I feel they do well because
they are now comfortable with physics, they know how to use lab
equipment-and they have learned that all human beings learn by doing and not
just reading and calculating. (although they do much better if can can read
and calculate)

I use the PT physics and about 80 per cent of the course is spent in lab.
The rest is spent doing lab reports. I do not lecture at all. I am around
to answer the many questions that arise and I am patient in answering the
same questions over and over again.

A definition of a lecture that I once heard is "a lecture is a meeting of
the instructor (we don't have professors around here) and the students in
which the instructor answers questions that the students never asked".

I get the students to ask questions that arise from their attempts at hands
on lab work. Once they ask the question I have their attention and their
interest. Together we can note the prejudices that we all have about our
world. Pre-Judgments are a curse to learning and physics. Things just
don't work the way we think they do.

I have an open door to the physics lab-and I don't want to send any away
because they can't handle the math (at the moment in time when they come in
the door-you'll be surprised how much math they learn while in physics).
Joe Baughman e-mail: joebau@blueridge.cc.nc.us
Science & Mathematics Instructor
Blue Ridge Community College Telephone: (704)692-3572 x301
College Drive Fax: (704)692-2441
Flat Rock, NC 28731-9624

Web Server: http://www.blueridge.cc.nc.us/