Re: Electronics for Physicists

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Mark Sylvester wrote:

Friends in the engineering world tell me that microcontrollers are the
thing. These chips contain a cpu, just enough RAM and somewhat more
programmable ROM. They now cost very little - from $2 to $10 a chip. The
nice thing about them is that a physicist with only very basic electronics
can set up a circuit that will do just about anything you want. Has anyone
used these things?

Mark,

I have used the Parallax Basic Stamps for about 3 years for various
projects. They are extremely easy to use but a little pricy.

My current project uses Microchip's 16F84 with a 3rd party basic compiler.
It's not as convenient to use as the Stamp but then the price per chip is
only in the $10 range.

Angus

| Angus Cameron |
| Physics Department |
| Northern Alberta Institute of Technology |
| 11762-106 Street |
| Edmonton Alberta Canada |
| T5G 2R1 |
| angusc@nait.ab.ca |