Re: Computer Skills

I agree with Bob that knowing how to program in at least one language is
nearly as important as knowing calculus. Ideally students should learn it
in high schools, or in computer science departments. If I had to choose the
language it would be True Basic; we already discussed this last year. The

Ludwik Kowalski

I can still VIVIDLY remember the day I learned to integrate numerically
on a computer with my own code. Calculus made sense, the mathematical
and physics reasoning made sense and I became a member of the cognoscenti.
I learned to sneer at those integral tables (well, for a week). A powerful
learning experience indeed.

Another strong memory is building my first computer interface for data
collection and control, another experience I wish every physics student
could have.

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://www.phy.nau.edu/~danmac