Re: Computer Skills

I agree with Bob that both electronics and a computer
programming class should be included in the physics curriculum.

The choice of a computer language is a difficult one. I would argue
for Fortran 90 (and Fortran 95 as compilers are available). However,
once you know one language, it is relatively easy to learn others.

Regards,
Steven Ratliff

Bob Sciamanda wrote:
Since I began teaching (in the 50's) I have argued for basic
electronics as a necessary ingredient of the physics curriculum,
citing its ubiquity in the implementation of almost any modern
experimental procedure. In the same vain I would now insist on a
familiarity with computer programming as an essential tool of our
20/21 century armamentarium. Give them a grounding in SOME (it
doesn't matter which) programming - they can then branch out on
their own as prompted by interest and study / job requirements.
(Much more so than electronics, a student given a start in some
programming can then teach himself more sophisticated programming by
reading manuals.)

As with electronics, computer implementation is a tool ; they need
not be experts in the nuts and bolts details. In both cases, they
need mostly to understand what the technology will, and will not, do
and how to best exploit it as a means to the development of their
physics.

Electronic hardware and computer software have become an expected
extension of what it means to measure and think quantitatively.

Steven T. Ratliff
Associate Professor of Physics
Northwestern College
3003 Snelling Av. N.