flame rectification?

A student recently asked me about an effect used in gas water
heaters (and other appliances, I suppose) by which the flame is
used to rectify an AC voltage. He understood that the
current was used to monitor the flame. I had never heard of this
effect and have not been able to find a description of "flame
rectification". Can anyone help out? Any references you might
be able to give would be appreciated.

Russ Hilleke
Physics Dept
The Citadel