PHYS-L has a new home!

I'm very pleased to tell you all that Dan MacIsaac has agreed to take
over ownership of PHYS-L sometime this Fall, the particular date to be
announced in plenty of time for all subscribers to update their address
books.

PHYS-L will be hosted on the LISTSERV installation at Northern Arizona,
along with nearly 400 other lists, so we can breath easily that the
computing staff there is experienced and knows what to do with lists.
Dan himself operates a half-dozen lists himself and so is acquainted
with what is needed from a list owner. The reason PHYS-L will not move
immediately is that the LISTSERV installation is new and is receiving an
orderly migration of lists from NAU's former Mailserv. So we'll wait
our turn.

I'd like to thank very much the following members of our group who also
expressed interest in hosting PHYS-L:

Taha Mzoughi at Mississippi State
Leonard Jossem at Ohio State
John Ertel at the Naval Academy

This will be the fourth move for PHYS-L. I think we still have a few of
the original subscriber list (Dewey Dykstra and others) of eight (!)
people who signed up at the AAPT meeting at Bozeman in 1986 or
thereabouts. We did not have a list server at West Florida at the time,
but borrowed space on the LISTSERV on the big IBM mainframe at the
University of Central Florida, where PHYS-L lived for a couple of years.
This was all on Bitnet, of course, the exotic Internet still being the
province of DARPA and a few far-out Computer Science departments. Then
we installed LISTSERV at UWF and brought the list to Pensacola where it
stayed until the UWF mainframe was unplugged 4-5 years ago, at which
time we migrated to Listproc running on a unix box connected to the
Internet. So our upcoming move is just the latest in a long string of
moves.

==> Dick

--
Richard C. Smith, Ph.D. Voice: (850) 476-9352
55 Birdwhistell Blvd. Fax: (850) 476-4193