Re: Questions types on HS Physics Tests

Yes I ask questions of various degrees of difficulty and in various
formats depending on what it is I want students to know and how I want
them to be able to convey this understanding. A typical test of mine
will have true/false, draw the picture/short answer, matching (my
students call my matching "the matching from hell" since any blank can
have more than one answer, not all answers will be used, any answer can
be used more than once and if there is no correct answer the student is
to leave the blank empty), as well as problems that cover the range from
simple "plug and chug" or "do you know this equation?" to multiple-step
problems requiring a geometric logic and sometimes the synthesis of a
new application using older ideas. Every test has at least one question
from the previous unit. I follow this testing approach with high school
juniors and seniors (in a general and in a college preap class) and with
adult students at the local junior college where I am an adjunct.

I would be happy to work with you on this if you want more information
or just have some question.

Greg Kifer
Olathe North High School
Olathe, KS