Re: Harmonics

As I understand it, this is what happens with a plucked instrument

The Fourier (sic) components of the initial shape of the string excite the
resonant body. These will, over time, be shaped by the resonant
characteristics of the instrument coupled to it but initially they will be
dominant in the sound. For fast passages, the instrument's time constant
is usually long compared with the interval between string plucks so the
original shape of the string and manner of plucking greatly affects the
timbre. Guitar players pluck the strings in different places to get
different timbres. As the time between plucks grows, the initial condition
information is lost to the Fourier components of the resonant system which
is the body of the instrument. The amplitudes of the string's initial
Fourier components change over time as energy from them is selectively
absorbed and reemitted at other frequencies by the instrument body.

Ed Schweber (edschweb@ix.netcom.com)
Physics Teacher at The Solomon Schechter Day School, West Orange, NJ
To obtain free resources for creative physics teachers visit:
http://www.physicsweb.com

Hi All:

If a guitar string is deformed and then released, my very unreliable
intuition tells my that the relative amplitudes of the Fourrier components
of the deformed shape of the string should also be the relative amplitudes
of the harmonics in which the string subsequently vibrates and that the
different timbres of a guitar and banjo should then be due to which of these
harmonics create resonances in the rest of the instrument.

But I also recall reading somewhere that the initial waveform of the
sound wave produced after a string is plucked is different than the waveform
that evolves after a short time interval and that what we hear as the
difference between a banjo and guitar playing the same note is really due to
the differences in this initial waveform. According to what I read, if the
initial waveforms in each note of a recording of a guitar are electronically
replaced by the corresponding waveforms from a banjo (but the subsequent
"steady state" waveforms are left alone) the recording will sound more
banjo-like than guitar-like. But if this is true, it would seem to be at
odds with my intuition since that idea would seem to be unable to account
for the any evolution in the waveforms.

Is there any connection between the harmonics and the Fourrier components
of the original shape? any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ed Schweber

Charles A. Crummer, PhD
LD Physics Lab. Manager