Re: magnetic lines like these?

Subject: Re: magnetic lines like these?
Referring to:

Oh yes, this is important, I think. If protons and electrons have the
same KE (meaning very different v) then traveling in the same direction
does not mean that the net B is zero. In a neutral plasma electrons
will contribute much more to B than protons.

Tim Folkerts <Tim.Folkerts@valpo.edu>

Really?

The CURRENT from the positive and negative charges must be the same
(or the sun would be acquiring a net charge). The electrons are moving
faster, but are farther apart. Biot-Savart says that B is proportional
to I. Thus it seems that the two contributions must be equal (in
magnitude anyway), producing a net B = 0. Or am I missing something?

Space densities (of electrons and protons in a neutral plasma) are equal.
Thus the current density, if any, is proportional to the drift velocity.

Naturally, fast electrons will quickly go ahead of slower protons (if KE
distributions are the same). But in a steady state they will catch up with
previously emitted protons, etc.

I have a related question (about plasma "pushed by a pressure difference").
Suppose a mixture of two gases, such as He and Ar in thermal equilibrium,
is inside a long cylindrical tube. A thin alluminum window, at one end of
the tube, breakes and the mixture is ejected into the surrounding vacuum.
Each atom gains a non-random velocity component along the axis. Is the
average non-random velocity component for the He atoms the same as for
the Ar atoms?
Ludwik Kowalski