From: LUDWIK KOWALSKI [SMTP:KOWALSKIL@alpha.montclair.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 1998 7:06 AM
To: phys-L@atlantis.uwf.edu
Subject: Re: philosophy

Today's Science section of The New York Times has an intersting article on
E.O. Wilson, an unusual Zoologist, they say. A lot of good sentences for
those who need signiture files. Here is one of many:

"If the essence of human nature is sketched out by the genes, it follows
that the major branches of knowledge - sociology, economics, ethics and
theology - are shaped by the mind's genetic framework and rest on epigenic
rules. The unified tree of knowledge, as invisaged in "Consilience", has
physics at its root, leading to a trunk of chemistry, molecular biology
and genetics, and everything else as its branches."

I think I will scan this article and put it on my home page (most of my
College Physics students are biology majors). I wish I had time to quote
more from this interesting article. I am glad I read it.