Re: leaf spring energy

David Dockstader says:

At any given point the stress in a material may be described by an ellipsoid.
If one examines the stress on planes of different orientation one finds planes
where the shear stresses disappear and one has only normal stresses to contend
with. These are known as principal planes and the stresses are the principle
stresses. However at other orientations there will be shear stresses and
somewhere there will be a plane where the stresses reduce to a hydrostatic
normal stress plus a shear stress. Thus, your visualization of the shear
stress is not incompatible with the notions of compression and tension in a
bending beam. They are just different manifistations of the same stress.

If I understand this correctly, you are saying that the stress tensor can
always be diagonalized. Is that correct?

Please elaborate on the ellipsoid visualization. I'm not seeing how
rotating a diagonal matrix can be so represented. Do you mean a genuine
ellipsoid, or just an oval-oid like shape?

I think that in these terms, my 'misconception' could be restated as:
In a bent leaf spring, the principle stress planes are never perpendicular
to the surfaces of the spring.

--
--James McLean
jmclean@chem.ucsd.edu