Re: leaf spring energy

At any given point the stress in a material may be described by an ellipsoid.
If one examines the stress on planes of different orientation one finds planes
where the shear stresses disappear and one has only normal stresses to contend
with. These are known as principal planes and the stresses are the principle
stresses. However at other orientations there will be shear stresses and
somewhere there will be a plane where the stresses reduce to a hydrostatic
normal stress plus a shear stress. Thus, your visualization of the shear
stress is not incompatible with the notions of compression and tension in a
bending beam. They are just different manifistations of the same stress.