Electrical Pendulum Drive (was Re: moon's synchronism)

At 11:51 3/20/98 EST, you wrote:
... any pendulum analogy would be like driving a steel
pendulum bob on a long string whose natural period is 3 seconds at 60 Hz
about its equilibrium orientation with an electromagnet. In such a
system the fact that we have a pendulum at all is quite secondary when
describing the bob's high frequency vibrations.

In conclusion, I don't necessarily recommend against using a pendulum
analogy for this problem, but I do advise that it only be used with
caution and with awareness of the significant limitations of the analogy.

David Bowman
dbowman@gtc.georgetown.ky.us

I found David's exposition exhilarating - as I often do.
I note my regrettable tendency to pick on microscopic
blots in erudite academic pieces and so, despite the finer part
of my nature I cannot resist remarking that a 60 Hz solenoid is
found to be a viable (and delightfully simple) method of driving
a Foucault's pendulum of period approaching 10 seconds. (*)

So in a sincere symmetry, I note that cautions against using the
pendulum analogy should be made with an awareness of the unexpected
capabilities of driving it successfully with way-off-resonance forcing
frequencies. :-)

Whatcott Altus

Refs:
R Stuart Mackay, UCal, "Detecting the Earth's Rotation"
(*) (Professor) C.L. Stong, Book of Projects for the Amateur Scientist,
Simon & Schuster, 1960
(and in fairness - R.S. Mackay in Am Journal Physics, 1953)