Re: AP physics

Herbert H. Gottlieb wrote:

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998 15:47:08 EST ACONeil <ACONeil@AOL.COM> writes:
I have been having a discussion with a colleague re: AP classes. We
would like to know if the majority of AP physics classes have a
prerequisite/recommendation that requires students who enroll in these
classes to have already taken a year of physics.

Bright students who have a good math background are able to
complete the AP course here without a previous course in physics.
In fact all of (three) them who have been in my AP classes
have earned a 5 on the AP exam.

I agree with Herb. After 8 years of teaching AP, I think the student's
math background and work habits are the most important. The student that
consistently scores the highest in my AP class this year is a first year
student for Physics. He wants to go to med school and is working hard to
get there. My "A" students from last year are mostly "B" students this
year because they do not put the time into it. The tend to complain
about the difficulty of the material and problems, instead of working
harder( I bet your students are not like this-HA!)

AP requires committment on the part of the students, teachers, parents,
and administration. Without that, it does not matter about physics
prerequisites.

Vern Dewees
South Garland High School
Garland, Texas