"Voltage"

So, why are physicists so set against the term "voltage"? It seems to
me that E&M at a general physics level could be simplified by using the
word that the students recognize.

The phrase "difference in electric potential energy per unit charge"
accurately describes the concept, but is too awkward to use more than
twice in one day. We further confuse the terminology by calling the
difference in electric potential, the "potential difference", not the
"electric potential difference" or the "difference in electric
potential". It makes it sound too much like they are two completely
different ideas. (Would you even consider using something analogous
like "kinetic difference" for the difference in kinetic energy?)

It seems we could just say "voltage" instead of "electric potential"
and "voltage difference" instead of "potential difference" without any
great loss and with an increased understanding by the students and
an increased connection to the "real world".

Comments???

--- Tim Folkerts

Timothy J. Folkerts Tim.Folkerts@valpo.edu
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy 219-464-6634
Valparaiso University
Valparaiso, IN 46383