Re: a paradox?

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 10:33:04 -0500 (EST)
From: "James W. Wheeler" <jwheeler@eagle.lhup.edu>
Subject: Re: a paradox ?

There will be "drag" forces from flying through a "rainstorm" of light.
The Terrell rotation will be important. In effect the net radiation force
on the "spheres" will certainly change direction as a function of v/c.
What is your exact prediction?

I have no idea. The "drag" force was ignored in my consideration. I did
not realize it would be present. The main point was a possibility of
verifying that the volume shrinking is real. That was the question asked
by Lowell. My prediction was YES, the experimental verification is, in
principle, possible. Should the presence of the drag force be a good
reason for the negative answer? I do not know. How does the "drag force"
depends on v? Is it practically constant when v is close to c? What is
this "drag" force? Is the air resistance analogy applicable?

Several spheres (they have same masses and sizes in a rest frame) travel
with relativistic velocities (different v/c) with respect to that frame.
The spheres enter a region near a very massive and very hot star. Two
forces are involved, one is due to gravity (same for each sphere) and
one is due to the radiation pressure. [The forces are opposite to each
other]. The second force, proportional to the exposed area, is larger
for the spheres whose v/c are smaller. This is due to the relativistic
contraction (photons travel perpendicularly to v toward an observer) in
a fixed frame of reference.

Will an observer [located in a favorable place of our rest frame]
record different trajectories for different v/c? If so then a change
in volume is "experimentally confirmed". Of course, all this is "just
in principle". We can not see a change of volume with our eyes but we
know it is real.