good old days - favorite meters, new and old

My 'old' favorite in the DVM department was the Sinclair PDM 35. That baby
would put out fixed currents on the different resistance ranges - lovely for
measuring semiconductor diodes.

My new favorite is my Metex M 4650 (around $100 from Jameco and others)
which measures down to pF, among its other tricks. With it, I can take different
lengths of coax to class, measure the capacitance of one, and ask the class to
estimate what we will get with the other length of coax. It'll also nicely pick up
the change of capacitance when a dielectric (I use transparency paper) is placed
in between the plates of a capacitor.

--

Mike

Mike Moloney moloney@nextwork.rose-hulman.edu
Dept of Physics & Applied Optics (812) 877 8302
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology Terre Haute, IN 47803
http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~moloney