RE: Capacitors store atomic energy! ;)

With trepidation, I still continue to enter the fray.

But (1) has unwanted implications. Should we say that a neutral hydrogen
atom, when its electron is pumped up from the ground state, has "stored
some charge"? But the atom's still neutral! A particular configuration
of charge has been stored, but a configuration of charge is not "electric
charge". When I stretch a rubber band, I have stored a particular
configuration of rubber, but I have not injected any rubber into it. When
a hydrogen atom absorbs a photon, we do not say that it has absorbed
charge, and we should maintain the same consistent treatment for (2-plate)
capacitors.

As I said, it was a trivial reason; emphasizing the fact that neutral does
not mean no charge.

In addition, if we focus always on the charge phenomena regarding
capacitors, we may forget to describe capacitors from another standpoint:
capacitors store energy, they are "charged" with EM energy, they release
EM energy during "discharge", and EM energy is a very different animal
than electric charge. Insisting that capacitors store charge can confound
the roles of energy and charge in the minds of students. (This certainly
is what happened to me as a student.) It's analogous to stating that
springs store steel. Very confusing. Springs store energy in a
particular *configuration* of steel, but a configuration of steel is not
steel. When a spring is "charged" or compressed, no steel is injected
into it, but energy is. When a capacitor is "charged", no charge is
injected into it, but energy is. At least springs are visible, so some
sorts of misconception are impossible. Not so with invisible charge-flow
and invisible EM energy.

By EM energy, I assume you mean the idea of energy density contained in an
electric field; which is what I will mean below by "EM energy".

1) I didn't say anything about where my focus is regarding the charging of
capacitors. In my classes I do emphasize the idea of energy storage and I
am very careful to operationally define what charging a capacitor means.

2) Everything in this item should be interpreted under the constraints of
Maxwell theory in *electrostatic* situations.

In electrostatic situations, energy and charge configuration should be
confounded as they are equivalent descriptions. One can compute the total
electrostatic potential energy by integrating energy density in E-field
(integrating E field squared) or by directily calculating (integrating)
coulomb potential of pair-wise interaction between the charges. It is
equally valid to regard the energy stored as residing in the E field or in
the geometric configuration of charges.

3) BTW I never use the bucket analogy for capacitors; probably for all the
reasons you allude to.

Joel