Re: Creation (short - HA!)

On Sat, 06 Dec 1997 11:21:55 EST David Bowman
<dbowman@tiger.gtc.georgetown.ky.us> writes:

Any path with a fixed longitude is at rest in comoving coordinates and
only
travels into the future. All points with a fixed latitude have the
same
value of the cosmic time parameter.
Are you saying that only the circles of latitude, then, are The Universe?
at different times, of course.
A material observer which is
moving
through space as it/she/he moves from the BB-NP to the BC-SP will
always be
moving in a mostly southerly direction but at an angle which is
between 45
deg East of South and 45 deg West of South. Any photon will travel
either
due SE or due SW depending on which way around the circle it is
traveling
as the spatial circle expands and later contracts. Any change of
local
Lorentz frame at some point on the surface is locally like making an
ordinary
Lorentz transformation in the x-t plane for one dimensional motion in
special relativity where we make the origin of both of the coordinate
systems
at the local point where transformation is to be performed. The
original
t-axis goes from N to S and the x-axis goes from E to W. After making
the
transformation both the t'-axis and the x'-axis are tilted wrt the
original
x and t axes. If v is the boost velocity of the transformation then
the
x'-axis runs from the NE to the SW at an angle of arctan(v/c) wrt the
E-W
x-axis. The t'-axis also runs from the NE to the SW but at an angle
of
arctan(v/c) from the N-S t-axis. ****As we follow these axes they
follow
paths
which keep the same local directions wrt N-E-S-W.****
Does this mean that the Lorentz transformation will never create
confusion with respect to two circles of latitude as to which is closer
to the North Pole, i.e., which is earlier and which is later? I was not
aware of a *cosmic* time parameter. Also, the term co-moving coordinates
is new to me. If I meant two coordinate systems moving with respect to
one another, I would have said so ;-) If the Lorentz transformation does
not prevent establishing a cosmic time parameter, why do not the two
observers traveling at 0.9c w.r.t. each other determine contemporaneity
by means of it and dispense with their disagreement as to which event
occurred first? If they cannot, how can anyone else? If no one can,
why should we accept such an anti-phenomenological concept in these
post-Copenhagenist times? After all, everyone is moving respect to
something.

Perhaps, the distinction between knowing the coordinates of a remote
event and knowing the coordinates of ourselves as events is greater than
I supposed - although this strikes me as unrelativistically centrist. {I
guess that's as bad as Politically Incorrect :-) - but not so bad as
being *Wrong*:-( }

Regards / Dumb and dumber

P.S. Mo, and Curly send their regards. (Larry is still miffed about
that fifth ace.)