Re: Arbitrary Grades?????

Comments and opinions (solicited?)

We give 40-50% of the lab grade based on showing up and performing the lab,
meaning the student must show up and take data and turn in a raw data sheet.
The other 50-60% of the lab grade is based on a laboratory write-up turned
in a few days after the lab. It is ideally graded on a basis organization,
analysis of data, conclusions and the answering of questions that appear in
the student's laboratory manual. How a lecture instructor uses the lab grad
is up to the instructor. It is rather typical here that they count anywhere
from 10-20% of the total course grade. (There is no separate lab grade
given to the registrar).

Regarding: Grading Lab Reports

1. I try to assign some questions with the lab experiment. These
can then be graded and help to determine the overall grade.

2. One interesting idea that I have not tried yet (but might in the
future) is to give a lab final exam. In this system, the lab grade
comes from (1) completion of the experiments, and (2) the lab
final. The individual experiments are graded perhaps only on
completeness, thus avoiding the problem of how to grade the
individual reports.

I'm rather philosophically opposed to grading a lab on mere completion. The
lab grade then becomes a certificate of attendance. Why is there a problem
of grading individual reports. The only problem I'm aware of is my own
laziness; I hate doing it. But it is no worse a problem than an English
professor grading a short term-paper.

Does anyone else have any comments on lab finals?

In my intro physics course we had a lab final, it consisted of 4 stations
where we actually had to perform some task ("experiement") , we worked in
groups of two or three (I forget which). I rather enjoyed enjoyed it as a
student, although we were pressed for time to do the 4 stations in 3 hours
(I think). I've heard of other institutions that have a lab final which is
more like taking a test, rather than performing a task. I think either
approach has validity and provides some reason for learning procedures in
individual labs.

Joel