Re: SI and nothing else.

EDT LUDWIK KOWALSKI writes:
How can you explain Joule's paddle experiment without
calorimetry? How can you explain 4186 without a reference
to an experiment which students are not ready to understand?

Once your students have learned that a Newton is a unit of force and
a joule is a unit of work that they have seen demonstrated in class,
it is time to introduce the kinetic molecular theory of heat. All of this

can be done without mentioning anything about calorimetry.

Now, let me throw the question back to you.... How does calorimetry
explain Joule's paddle experiment?

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where our metric spring scales are called JOULES) because they
are meters that measure newtons ( newton meters))