Re: Stop using calorie?

On 20 Sep 1997 04:42:54 Herb (herbgottlieb@juno.com) asked:

How does calorimetry explain Joule's paddle experiment?

Who said it does? But it is good if students know how to measure things
with calorimeters and thermometers before they learn "the kinetic molecular
theory of heat". Again it is a matter of pedagogical preference.

I am quoting you because I do not want to be accused of bringing back the
dirty four-letter noun. But how can I promis of never using it as a synonym
of internal energy? Nearly all textbooks do, except those devoted to
thermodynamics. If I had to teach thermodynamics I would probably start
using Jim's approach by saying "heat done" rather than "heat delivered".
And instead of saying "heat" I would say pseudo-work, or something like
this.
Ludwik Kowalski

In my teaching, practical units (miles, square yards, etc.) are used when
we practice conversions, early in a course. Only units of physicists,
predominantely SI, are used later. I tell students that physics is more
interesting without trivial conversions. It is their own responsibility
to know how to convert. And I add, "may you live long enough to see the
disappearance of inches and pounds".