position available in physics education

Below is an advertisement and related information about an open position in
physics education at Washington State University. Please forward this
information to anyone you think might be interested in the job. Also, if
inclined, respond to the list concerning the job description itself.
Thanks for your time.

Faculty Position in Physics Undergraduate Education

Washington State University
Tenure Track, Assistant Professor, Physics

The Department of Physics is seeking a Ph.D. physicist at the assistant
professor level with excellent teaching credentials and interests. The
candidate will take on responsibility for course and laboratory development
at the introductory level. We seek a candidate keenly interested in
innovations in teaching and learning. Exceptional candidates will be
considered at a high level. The successful candidate will be expected to
seek grants, carry out published research in physics education at the
undergraduate level, and supervise graduate students and technical staff.
The proposed research activities should focus on and benefit introductory
instruction in physics at Washington State University. Candidates should
submit a curriculum vitae, a well-written description of teaching
techniques/philosophy and research plan, and arrange for three letters of
recommendation, all to be sent to the Chairperson, Department of Physics,
Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164-2814. Washington State
University is located in the Pullman-Moscow area approximately on hour
south of Spokane-Coeur d'Alene and provides a vibrant college atmosphere
with an outstanding quality of life. Screening of complete applications
will begin on December 1, 1997 and continue until the position is filled.
For more information: http://www.physics.wsu.edu/ WSU is an equal
opportunity/affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, and persons
with disabilities are encouraged to apply.

The above ad outlines an opening in our department on the main WSU
campus in Pullman for a strong candidate in physics education. We are
seeking the very best in terms of talent, energy, and eventual leadership
in this area. As most university physics departments, we have emphasized
research in areas such as experimental and theoretical condensed matter and
optical physics. We have, to some extent, encouraged physics education
research, primarily in the form of new course- laboratory- and
demonstration-development. In addition, the appropriate use of computers
has been pursued, e.g., in honors or advanced undergraduate/graduate
courses and in the teaching laboratory.
We are now seeking someone to intensively pursue new avenues of
teaching physics, primarily in the lower division (both non-calculus and
calculus-based introductory physics). At WSU, we are dealing with students
with a wide range of abilities, preparation, and motivation. The
non-calculus course is dominated by life science majors, although many
other disciplines are represented. The calculus based course is dominated
by pre-engineers. Our expectations in terms of the candidate's activities
include development of strategies, course designs, tools, and delivery that
maximize the final product: students with problem solving skills in and
understanding of introductory physics. We expect also that the proposed
approaches are sufficiently innovative to attract outside funding and
recognition. With time, we would like the candidate to serve as a resource
and leader in making continued improvements to these and other courses.
It is therefore important to submit to us a carefully drafted
teaching philosophy and research proposal. Obviously, it is best if this
document addresses the needs of the department (which, in our opinion, are
universal) regarding the lower division courses and laboratories. If the
candidate has experience and proven methods, all the better. Realize that
at WSU, as well as elsewhere, one has to deal with large numbers (~1000
students/semester), limited preparation (students are generally weak in
algebra, trigonometry, calculus, and/or reasoning), finite resources (e.g.,
space, hardware, assigned T.A. and faculty), and student time (i.e., other
course commitments). Therefore, strategies should be innovative, while
simultaneously, efficient and effective.
We look forward to seeing your ideas and application materials.
All serious portfolios will be carefully considered. If you have any
questions feel free to email Professor Tom Dickinson, chair of the search
committee, at jtd@wsu.edu.

Frequently Asked Questions About the Teaching Position, WSU, etc.

Q. Is the position tenure track?
A. Yes.

Q. Is the position on the main campus in Pullman?
A. Yes.

Q. Is postdoc experience necessary?
A. No. However, any experience and prove of success in meeting our
needs will be in favor of the candidate.

Q. Will more experienced candidates be considered?
A. Yes, but the expectations are considerably higher.

Q. What beginning courses do you offer?
A. Non-calculus introductory -- students are frequently premed,
prevet, life sciences, agriculture, many others.
Calculus based introductory -- engineering, science & math majors,
some life scientists and premed. Includes an Honors Section (<25
students).
Physics and Society -- for non-science majors (energy, nuclear
issues, high tech science, environmental issues)
Physics and Your World -- Tier I General Education Science Course

Q. Are their resources available for new development?
A. Yes. The College of Sciences is very open to new ideas and has
provided support for equipment and other expenses. The physics department
uses part of its funds every year to support course development.

Q. Are there any physics teaching research projects underway?
A. Yes. We have several experimental courses involving studio
approaches to learning. This includes an honors section of the calculus
based introductory course and a activity based course for general education
non-scientists based on AIP Powerful Ideas in Physical Science, and an NSF
sponsored laboratory improvement grant to introduce a computer based
approach to learning force concepts through experiment. At the upper
division level (physics major courses) a number of small innovations are
continuously developed and are encouraged and supported. All members of
the department teach and most are strongly interested in improving our
lower division and upper division offerings.

Q. Are there staff members in the department associated with physics
education?
A. Yes. There are two full time technicians associated with the
laboratory and lecture demo facilities. There are also part time staff
members with responsibilities ranging from assisting these staff members to
actual classroom teaching. Of course the T.A. pool forms a strong
component of our lower division teaching talent.

Q. How would you characterize the department?
A. Relatively small (15 FTEs) but highly research oriented. Faculty
have grants from NSF, DOE, ONR, ARO, other government agencies, plus
industrial funding. ~2/3 of the department are experimentalists, 1/3
theorists. We have ~40 graduate students, offer both M.S. and Ph.D.
degrees.

Q. Does WSU support interdisciplinary and educational research?
A. Yes. For example several research centers are active in
interdisciplinary research. A newly formed Teaching and Learning Center is
a campus wide resource and encourages educational research collaborations
between departments.

Q. Will a mentor be available (a senior faculty member to provide
advise and help throughout the tenure process)?
A. Yes. All tenure track faculty are given free access to a mentor.

Q. How do you characterize Pullman and WSU?
A. Pullman is a small town (without the students ~10,000 people). The
campus currently has ~17,500 students enrolled. It is a campus striving
for excellence and quality. It has a strong commitment to both research
and teaching. It is a very pleasant, safe community and campus. The
Palouse region (the surrounding area) is hilly with lots of very large
wheat farms. Pullman-Moscow (Moscow, ID is the home of University of Idaho
~8000 students) forms a significant cultural center and together host
numerous festivals, forums, and other events. To the east (8 mi), the
state of Idaho offers more mountainous, tree covered country. The
impressive Snake River canyon is ~25 mi. to the south). Many people are
outdoors oriented with hiking, skiing, rafting, fishing and other
activities close at hand. The lakes of northern Idaho are 1-2 hours away
and offer premiere vacation opportunities. Glacier and Yellowstone are 1
day away. The Cascades to the west (4-5 hr drive) contain endless hiking
and outdoor opportunities. If you would want to live in New York City,
this is not the place for you. If you seek a very healthy, lively
community with all the benefits of a small university town (two small
university towns!), surrounded by a low population density, you should be
strongly attracted to WSU.

Q. If you "gotta have a city", where do you go?
A. Spokane, WA is 70 miles north of Pullman and offers a variety of
attractions. If you need "Big City", Seattle and Portland are each ~ 6
hours from Pullman by car.

Q. How do you get there and get out of there?
A. Usually, by air. Horizon Airlines, owned by Alaska Airlines, comes
in and out of the Pullman-Moscow Airport (3 mi. from campus) ~6-8 times a
day. Connections are through Spokane, Seattle, sometimes Boise, ID. Some
people drive to/from the Spokane Airport which is normally a pleasant
drive.

9

Lisa K. Morris
Instructor