Re: phys-L server

Ludwik: Recently, a number of listserve users have installed new mail
programs which have a "REPLY TO" option. Naturally, they want to be
replied to so they place their own email in the reply to part of the mail
program. This remains hidden until the message is sent out. When I reply
to their message (which was sent by the listserve) I reply to the address
they have established as their "reply to" location.

While some users have contended that they are doing this to save bandwidth,
they are also simultaneously negating the whole reason for a listserve.
Now, if you reply to one of these persons without very carefully checking
their "Reply To" designation, you will discover that you are carrying on a
private conversation rather than a listserve communication. If you did not
"cc" yourself, then your thoughts will be lost and you will easily be
misquoted, since the only person to be in on your reply will be the "Reply
to" person.

The idea proposed was to have the person who started the communication
compile the answers and post them later. I can do without this form of
censorship, thank you...Karl

Something starnge. I am sure I did not receive some of the messages
quoted in recent replies. Is our server sick? I posted a message
yesterday but the phys-L server sent it back saying that it was not
structured proprly. Blaiming myself I reposted it and got the same
reply. Reposted again (after adding one blank line at the beginning)
and another rejection, with the same message. Then I posted test1.
That short file was processed normally. My reply to Herb was also
processed normally. I checked with other people in my school, they
had no trouble posting or receiving.

Something peculiar with the format of my message? I checked again and
reposted it again about 12 hours ago. No rejection this time. But I am
still waiting to see it broadcasted; it did not appear on my screen.
Am I alone to observe such symptoms? The system manager here was sure
that the problem was not caused by our server.
Ludwik Kowalski

Dr. Karl I. Trappe Desk Phone: (512) 471-4152
Physics Dept, Mail Stop C-1600 Demo Office: (512) 471-5411
The University of Texas at Austin Home Phone: (512) 264-1616
Austin, Texas 78712-1081