Re: Relative velocity problem....

At 14:59 9/11/97 -0400, Maurice Barnhill wrote:
One advantage of a demo using objects that are readily available
(provided you choose them a bit better than I did in mentioning marbles
for this one) is that a skeptical student can try the demo at home.

Maurice Barnhill

I enthusiastically support the idea of providing seeds for home-based
experimentation.
Newton's imagination evidently ran in quite the opposite direction
on this topic however.
Here's a quote from Principia (From scholium IV to the definitions,
trans. by Motte:)

....As if that part of the Earth where the ship is, was truly moved
towards the East with a velocity of 10,010 parts; while the ship itself,
with a fresh gale, and full sails is carried towards the West with a
velocity expressed by ten of those parts; but a sailor walks in the ship
towards the East, with one part of said velocity; then the sailor will be
moved truly in immovable space towards the East, with a velocity of 10,001
parts, and relatively on the Earth towards the West, with a velocity of
nine of those parts.

Regards

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK