Re: Relative velocity problem....

One advantage of a demo using objects that are readily available
(provided you choose them a bit better than I did in mentioning marbles
for this one) is that a skeptical student can try the demo at home.

I remember vividly when I first saw the "counting balls" demo. It was
when I was a little boy and my father took me with him to his bowling
league game. Bowling balls used to come up in a long rack with detents
and they exhibit this phenomenon better than those novelty toys.

I recall that I marveled at the phenomenon and I didn't understand it
until my first semester in college, even though I took physics in high
school. I should point out that it also works with pool balls.

Leigh