Re: Floating and sinking

I have some followup questions which I will send to him, too. The Cartesian
diver example tells me that as a fish descends it becomes less bouyant.
This could lead to a runaway feedback in which the fish couldn't reinflate
its swim baldder fast enough to stay bouyant, and an explosive problem as a
fish ascends and becomes increasingly bouyant, perhaps faster than it can
reabsorb the gas from the swim bladder. I have a picture of a herring rising
like a rocket through the water.

Leigh

This does happen but mostly when you go fishing and haul the fish up
faster than he wants to go. For the most part, according to the
marine biologists here, though the absorption of gas through the swim
bladder/blood interface is not instantaneous, it is pretty fast and
tends to keep up with the swimming speed of the fish. Also, most fish
are pretty stratified in their environmental preferences so they
don't go up or down all that far anyway.

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227