Adiabatic Expansion and Ranque-Hilsch

I lost the note from (I think) Leigh, who called into question
the idea that the temperature direction of air escaping from a
pressurized tire is self-evident. One does well to carefully
review his suggestions.

Confessing that I despise, revile and abjure mind-experiments,
I am still tempted to note that a pipe connecting a pressurized
air container leaking into a container at atmospheric pressure, thence
to a compressor and so back to the pressure vessel seems to represent
a notional refrigerator loop.

If it easy for me to imagine a temperature drop at the leak, I must
hastily recall that I can select either hot air or cold air as the desired
output from a Ranque-Hilsch ( or Vortex) tube which is simply the passive
handler of pressurized air ( however inefficiently...)

I was intrigued to find that these devices have a commercial source or two,
and can provide distinctive solutions - in one case, removing heat from
equipment operating at very high voltage, for which water-cooling would
have been inappropriate.

Regards
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK